7 foods that you'll never find in my refrigerator
Did you know that refrigeration can actually cause certain foods to spoil faster? It's true. In fact, here are 7 foods that you'll never find in my refrigerator (mostly because I store them somewhere else):
- Bananas - Storing bananas in the refrigerator can actually disrupt the ripening process. In fact, once refrigerated, a banana may never be able to resume the ripening process even if returned to room temperature. Just think of how devastating that is for the banana :(
- Sweet Potatoes - When exposed to cold temperatures, starches found in potatoes will turn to sugar, disrupting their flavor and texture, not to mention increasing their sugar content. If you prefer tasteless potatoes that cause weight gain, however, please refrigerate.
- Tomatoes - Ever had a really amazing tomato right out of the fridge? Me either. Tomatoes actually lose their flavor and become mushy when refrigerated. Yumn't.
- Apples - Same as above, apples lose their texture and flavor when refrigerated. Instead, place an apple in the fridge about 30 mins before eating if you prefer your apples cold. That's what I always do anyway.
- Onions - If you love soggy onions while also causing the rest of your food to taste and smell like onions, then you'll definitely want to refrigerate your onions immediately. Otherwise, try storing them in a paper bag (within a cool, dark cabinet) for maximum shelf-life.
- Avocados - Much like the banana, refrigeration shuts down an avocado's ripening enzymes. If you want guacamole next month, this may be OK, but if you're like me, you probably want guacamole today.
- Coffee - Contrary to popular belief, coffee is best stored at room temperature to allow the natural oils within the coffee bean to activate its pungent aromatic scent. My brother Big Jim, who savagely loves all things coffee, let me in on this little secret. On the flip side, refrigeration can actually cause coffee to absorb odors from other foods in your fridge. Onion flavored coffee anyone? Don't make that mistake twice guys...